Exhibition and sound

I would like to incooperate sound with my photogrpahy exhibition, because I always liked when going to a gallery and looking at paitings or scoulptures and in the same time being able to hear a music that goes side to side with what I am seeing.

We are used to hear things as well as see them. Sometimes we close our eyes, but the sound is still there. It is such an important part of our lives. It draws paitings in our minds and gives meaning to anything that we can see along its side.

I really like the idea of bringing my art to life. More than anything, I want my art to move people and make them think about it to find their own meanings and to make them think even about very different thigns, but I want it to be caused by my art. The way in which I can make it more human, more palpable is the sound. When they will look at my photogrpahs, I want them to hear what I've heard and imagine what I felt at that moment. 

I thought that I could go to those places and only record the sound of the sourandings, but I would also incooperate it with sounds find online. 

Before I have done research on slow TV and ASMR which I am a great fun of.

http://minidocumentary012.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/slow-tv.html

Sounds can easly influence our emotional state. Therefore I have also looked at films and ways in which they use sound to create meaning or to decode some parts of the film in a way that the producers and directors imagined the scene to be seen as. 

For example, the horror films used very silent sound, that influences a part of our brains that is responsible for analytical thinking. We get drawn to the scene a lot. We study it very carefully, which is often mistake for fear, but actually i is simply a tension. Usually after that sound, there is this louder noise or movement that makes us "scared", because we were so focused on the film, any sudden chances surprise us. 

I also looked at other films. Despite what we see, the sound can change our view very easily. With some funny music, we will assume that the film is a comedy; sad music - drama or epic music - action. 


▼△


▼△


▼△



As part of my art workshop with Villiers Park I had to draw with my closed eyes and listen to music. What I ended up doing was drawing to the sound and beats of the soundtrack. 


It proves how much visual art has in common with the sound and it only entourages me to use it for my exhibition.  

I have looked at different artists and they way in which they incorporated sound into their exhibition in a similar style to mine. 

Camille Norment 

https://vimeo.com/127049111 

I found it fascinating, how she used glass to make the sound to represent the glass. It is so simple and pure and before I was told that the sound is made by the glass, I already linked the sound I heard with glass. It reply embraces what Glass is. It is see through, delicate and it has something unusual about, yet it sounds and looks beautify. 

Sound in meditation  

This also reminds me of the ASMR videos as well as slow TV. There are also vidoes of rain or fireplace sounds which I personally watch to help me to relax or to focus when working. Those sounds are also used for meditation which of course means that the sound allows our thought to flow. I want my audiences to think about what they see and I want them to feel comfortable and relaxed. 

The sounds I am going for are the city sounds mixed with the nature sounds. 
The sounds of the city are meant to embody the idea of being in a city center with lots of people talking, car driving past, changing lights, flaying birds and more. The sounds of nature will contrast with it to represent me as an artist and to bring the pace which I felt when taking the photographs. 

▼△


▼△

  
By combining them two I will do something similar that horror sound effects do. The low sound - the city and the high sound - the forest will meet together and leave the space between them to be filled. 

Comments